Sunday, November 22, 2009

Are you running from the Truth? Stop running!

When Pilate asked, “What have you done to get yourself in so much trouble?” Jesus answered, “I told the truth.” Now why would his telling the truth make so many people so angry and so fearful that they’d be willing to kill him to shut him up? Because deep down inside, where lies can’t live, they knew Jesus was right about them and about life. They knew that if they let his truth into their hearts, even for an instant, they’d have to change their lives from top to bottom. And they were afraid that that kind of change was just too much for them — afraid it would spoil what little happiness they’d been able to squeeze out of life.

They’d got it just backwards, because ironically, the lies we sell ourselves in our frightened search for happiness guarantee that we’ll always be sad. That’s because the lies that fear makes us live by always build up walls and cut us off from our best selves, from one another, and from the God who loves us.

Excerpt from the Catholic Exchange article "Are You Running from the Truth?"


I finally stopped running at 34 years old and it's the absolute BEST thing that ever happened to my life. I still have my crosses and burdens to carry but they have purpose and meaning now, which, though it sounds strange (I know!), equals freedom.

If you are ready to stop running and want to talk about it, feel free to contact me through my profile page. I assure you I can likely relate to whatever you are feeling and thinking!