Monday, October 26, 2009

CANDISC '09—My first bike tour: Day 3

Day 3: Tuesday, Aug. 4—Minnewauken to Fort Totten

Monday night/Tuesday morning turned out to be quite a chilly night sleeping right next to big Devils' Lake. I was buried deep into my sleeping bag all night and did wake up from the cold a few times. And in the very early morning hours woke to someone yelling for help because their friend was having an allergic reaction to something and couldn't breath. Scary! And not a very good night of sleep.

Around the normal 5 a.m. wake time in a hazy, sleepy stupor I wandered into the high school to hit the rest room, brush my teeth and get on my biking gear. When I got back out to my tent and sat down facing the door this is what I saw:

Wow! Suddenly the whole cold, sleep-deprived night was worth it. My tent was right by the little kids playground by the high school, as you can see, so I decided with a sunrise this beautiful I had to walk over to the lake to take more pictures.

And after getting back to my tent while packing I still had to take more. Yeah, I REALLY liked this sunrise. My name is DAWN, ya know! :)

Anyway, after the sun was up and I could put down my camera, we had a nice slow morning and very good breakfast. We didn't feel the need to rush because we had one of our short days of only 40 miles. (Heh, only 40 miles. Never thought I'd be saying something like that!:)

We rode around the edge of Devil's Lake for most of the day which offered many great sites and we had another very nice weather day. Since it was a short day with time to waste we even stopped in the town of Devil's Lake at a great coffee shop to have a latte and muffin to refuel. We also did some shopping in a few of the stores close by before heading back out on the bikes.

Here are Gayle and Ranae by Spirit Lake casino with part of Devil's Lake behind them. This was our last little "butt" break before heading the rest of the way to our campground at Fort Totten. A lot of the cyclists stopped at the casino to gamble but we had no interest in that so we just stopped for the view and a few minutes of rest.

It was a good day of riding but I could really feel the fatigue of the sleep-deprived night and was pedaling pretty slowly by the end of the ride. I was very happy to be at our campground and was really impressed with how well the inside area of this old fort worked for us. It was a fun night with a great atmosphere.

And the kids had a great time playing in this large open area all evening while a band played for us. A few of the adults "played" as well, dancing like crazy by the band. I had a good relaxing evening and slept like a baby all night, which is exactly what I needed because the next day was our longest day, 80 miles...

Days stats:
40 miles biked
11.9 MPH average speed
20.4 MPH max speed
3 hours and 12 mins. spent biking