Tuesday, April 07, 2009

“Road Not Taken” revisited


I posted this poem by Robert Frost a long time ago when I first started this blog because it is one of my favorite poems that has always "spoken" to me. I came across "Road Not Taken" in an article today which prompted me to revisit and repost this poem. It kind of feels like a needed bookend in this phase of my life that I'm going through. As the article says:

It fits perfectly with the idea of dying to self that Lent inspires.

There have been many times in my life when I have felt that living the Catholic life is much like taking the “[road] less traveled by.” While our numbers indicate we are one of the most populous religions in the world we all know that saying you are Catholic and being Catholic are two very different things. The two paths of Frost perhaps.


Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth.

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same.

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I–
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.