Sunday, February 01, 2009

I should like you to be free of anxieties

1 Cor 7:32-35

Brothers and sisters:
I should like you to be free of anxieties.
An unmarried man is anxious about the things of the Lord,
how he may please the Lord.
But a married man is anxious about the things of the world,
how he may please his wife, and he is divided.
An unmarried woman or a virgin is anxious about the things of the Lord,
so that she may be holy in both body and spirit.
A married woman, on the other hand,
is anxious about the things of the world,
how she may please her husband.
I am telling you this for your own benefit,
not to impose a restraint upon you,
but for the sake of propriety
and adherence to the Lord without distraction.

On Friday night after work I went for Adoration. One of the topics that God and I ended up "discussing" has a lot to do with the above reading for Mass today. When I heard the reading I just had to smile and shake my head. God really does talk to you if you give him the chance and listen.

What came up at Adoration was the strong feeling (consolation) of love I was having for God as I was sitting in the silent church praying with him. The thought came to mind that as a single person I can focus and give all of my love to God. What a great thing! As soon as that thought came out another thought, and a very strong wave of emotion, overcame me that being married would just enhance that love even more. (To those who have more will be given.) This thought kinda shocked me since I had just been reflecting on the "good part of my singleness."

My thoughts continued, if a marriage is created and centered on Christ the love will just keep growing stronger in all directions—for Christ, for each other as husband and wife and for the children that God would create through that marriage, if that is his will. There is no need to be torn between God and your spouse/family. The two are intimately intertwined; as one goes so goes the other. The more you grow in love of God, the more you grow in love in your marriage. The more you grow in love in your marriage, the more you grow in love for God.

Wow! By this point I was pretty overwhelmed.

I was now thinking how I had heard many times about God's love being infinite and that this same infinite love has been given to each and every one of us. But I had never really reflected on it this way. I was thinking, "this is so opposite from what the secular world of me, me, me teaches." So much of the world believes that if you open your heart and give it to others there will be nothing left for you (selfish and self-centered). God was revealing to me the opposite to be true. The more you give your heart away the bigger it will grow and the more you will have to give to him, to others and also to yourself. What a beautiful thought!

So, when hearing the reading about having "adherence to the Lord without distraction" my mind whizzed back to my conversation with God Friday night. My advice would be:

Live your life centered on Christ at all times, whatever your vocation. Give your heart completely to everyone that God puts in your life so you can keep growing in love. And do your best to live without all of the anxieties of the things of the world, instead, live in the peace and joy that comes from putting all of your trust in God.