Sunday, December 07, 2008

Inauguration day Mass intention

Here is a great idea from an email I received. I would like to add that you should pray for this intention in your daily prayers as well.

If you are like me, you have felt somewhat concerned about the results of the election and the future of our country. I am sharing an idea in the hope that others will join me in doing one little thing that could help to change the course of history.

WHO: A few faithful Catholic lay people and priests. (Anyone can do this: stay-at-home moms, singles, retired people, students--anyone--and we can have a huge impact on our country's future.)

WHAT: Have a Mass said on Inauguration Day for our new President. It can be said for his conversion or, "That our new president will work to protect the dignity of each human life." Consider that St. Leonard of Port Maurice said that one Mass offered before death may be more profitable than many after it, and St. Anslem affirmed this.

WHEN: Tuesday, January 20, 2009—Inauguration Day

WHERE: Throughout our country in as many Catholic churches as possible. Share this idea with everyone!

WHY: Because offering the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass for an intention is very powerful. (Please see my story below.)

HOW: Simply call your local parish and ask to reserve January 20th for your intention. If that day is already reserved, ask if the priest would add this intention. If not, you can offer it as your personal intention during Mass. Also consider having Masses offered at local hospitals, nursing homes, monasteries, etc. Consider retired priests who may be offering private Masses. There is no limit to how many Masses you can have offered on any given day.


But now, let me share the story behind this inspiration.

A young friend of ours owns a barbershop. One day a gentleman came in, interested in renting space from her, but he said that, as a Jew, he was offended by the crucifix that she had hanging there. They got into a long discussion/debate and when they parted she said, "You pray for me and I will pray for you." Later she shared this story with her family and her younger, teen-age sister decided to have a Mass offered for the intention of this man's conversion. Six months later the shop-owner was entering the cathedral and a gentleman who was leaving the church said, "Do you remember me? I had wanted to rent space from you. I am becoming a Catholic."

This story of one simple act inspired me and helped me to realize the profound impact of a Mass offered for the conversion of hearts.