Friday, October 31, 2008

Future plans

I know well the plans I have in mind for you, says the Lord, plans for your welfare, not for woe! plans to give you a future full of hope. (Jer 29:11)


BAM!

This passage hit me right between the eyes this morning as I was reading my Magnificat morning prayers before Mass. I don't know if I haven't read this particular passage before or if I just wasn't in a state of mind to really comprehend it if I had. But, wow, this morning I was sure ready to hear it!

Putting your trust completely in the Lord when things are not quite as "smoooooth" as you would prefer them to be is NOT easy. (And let's be honest, life is never going to be smooth!) But if you keep asking for God's grace to see that every day, every situation, and yes, even every sorrow/heartache/pain/suffering has a purpose and is given to us by God through his love, then you can start accepting these things with peace and patience. I struggle to maintain this mindset so much of the time which is why this passage really hit me this morning and I wanted to share it with everyone.

You can trust that God is looking out for you and your future (if you let him!), and you can look forward to that future with hope. Don't try to live in the future, though, that will never lead to peace. Live in the present moment (see below) with peace and look toward the future with hope!

In God's will is our peace.


Sacrament of the
Present Moment


If I did not simply live
from one moment to the next,
it would be impossible for me
to keep my patience.
I can see only the present,
I forget the past and I take good care
not to think about the future.
We get discouraged and feel despair
because we brood about the past and the future.
It is such folly to pass one’s time fretting,
instead of resting quietly on the heart of Jesus.

St. Therese of Lisieux