Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The New Evangelization Strikes Again!

This is pretty cool! You just never know where, when and how God is at work. Since we don't always get to see or understand what God is doing here and now I am excited to see the "whole picture" when my time comes. I just hope it's a good show, not a horror flick! ; )

By Steve Pokorny
tob.catholicexchange.com

Anyone who has been bitten by the TOB bug knows just how drastically it can impact one’s life. The itching, burning, cracking….oh, wait, that’s my poison oak rash….Seriously, when one comes to know of the love of God in a such a personal way, realizing that there is an intimate plan for them, and that they are able to experience redemption from the wounds they have experienced within their sexuality, it changes everything. We come to realize that our lives are not forfeited, but the Jesus Christ is truly working within us, changing us from the inside out. I have seen it happen time and again, and it is always a remarkable site.

I would like to share the following story from a list serve that I am on with Yahoo Groups, about a woman who has discovered a unique way to evangelize with TOB. People are so very thirsty for the Truth, and in a culture that wants to suck dry our ability to love, this is such a welcome oasis.

Our friend Ellen writes:

Took my car in to the mechanics last week & wound up being there much longer than anticipated. My daughter and I decided to go for a walk while waiting. We left our pile of books on the table in the waiting room (her math workbook & Nancy Drew & my copy of TOTB).

We returned about an hour later to find a gentlemen perusing TOTB. I sat down & picked up the rest of our books without saying anything. The gentleman looked up, clearly startled.

“I’m so sorry. Is this your book? I thought it was waiting room material.” he stammered.

I’m thinking to myself “sure — it fits right in with the old copies of Newsweek, Good Housekeeping, and Entertainment Weekly that are strewn about…”

“Not a problem. You’re welcome to read it.” I respond.

He continues reading. After a few minutes, he exclaims, “It’s just that I’ve never heard anything like this. It’s amazing. It’s like God has directed me to every page that I’ve read!”

I laughed.

He continued reading, clearly not wanting a discussion.

After a few more minutes, he asked “Where can I buy this?”

So I sent him home with his very own copy of TOTB, and he was so excited! It reminded me of when I first started studying it — amazing how it brings that reaction of “Yes! This is what I have been waiting for.”

So… the moral is… start carrying TOB around with you everywhere!