Saturday, March 18, 2006

Working at home...

My coworker's computer died this week which has forced us to find creative ways of working around the problem until it gets fixed or replaced. We were trying to "share" my work computer but that's pretty tough to do when, as designers, we both work completely on a computer for at least 8 hours a day.

I suggested that I have a perfectly good computer, with all of the necessary programs, just sitting idle at home. At first we thought about having me try to bring the computer into the office, but it's not a laptop, so that would have been a pain. Since I have email and internet and could be in constant contact, we decided that I would try working from home.

I worked from home Thursday and Friday and will be again on Monday and possible more days after that. It has been great and worked out well! I have wondered in the past if I would have the discipline to concentrate and actually work from home. Yes, I do! I really enjoyed the peace and quiet and comforts of being at home while still getting my work done. I don't think that I would want to do it all of the time at this point in my life because it could get lonely and then I would have hardly any contact with the outside world. However, part-time or some days here and there would be just fine. I like knowing that this type of work situation is a good possibility in case I ever did decide to work from home for whatever reason. I know I could do it and would like it.