Thursday, March 23, 2006

Bone Marrow...

A few years ago I went to a blood drive where they were taking samples of blood from those volunteering in order to add more people to the bone marrow registry. All it consisted of was a tiny poke with a needle and a couple seconds of my time. This ever so small effort on my part has allowed them to add my information to the registry. The registry helps them find if I am a match for someone that needs a bone marrow donation. If I was a match I could help save someone's life. That's pretty amazing!

I tend to forget that my information is on the registry until they write me, about once a year, to confirm that my contact information is still correct. Or I will see something on TV or read a story in the newspaper that reminds me how important that bone marrow registry is.

I don't pretend to know all the details on this subject but I do know that the more people that they have information for on the registry the better chance they have of finding life saving matches. So today I ask everyone who might read this blog to take a couple minutes of your time to donate a blood sample and get yourself added to the registry. Then ask your family and friends to do the same thing. It might change someone's life one day.

To get information from the professionals who know what they are talking about check out www.marrow.org.