Monday, January 30, 2006

On being an introvert...

INTROVERTED
adjective
- shy, reserved, withdrawn, reticent, diffident, retiring, quiet; introspective, introvert, inward-looking, self-absorbed; pensive, contemplative, thoughtful, meditative, reflective.

Growing up as an introvert is not easy, and though it has gotten a little better with age, it's still not easy as an adult. It's so difficult for people to get to know you because you don't have a comfort level with others until you have spent time with them but getting to spend time with them is difficult because it's awkward since you don't know each other yet and don't have a comfort level - ugh - what a messy catch 22. And now in the modern world that we live in we introverts are "enabled" by email, instant messaging, text messages etc. We get to communicate without having to face our fears of talking to REAL LIVE humans face to face. I envy a lot of extroverts that can just go out into the world, start having a conversation with anyone they come across, and be completely comfortable doing it. I have so many thoughts in my head but nobody would know it because those thoughts don't seem to transfer from my brain to my mouth. My opening line when meeting new people should be - " I may seem like an idiot but really I'm not, trust me." : ) I have been told several times, by people that are now my friends, that they thought I was a stuck-up *itch when they first met me because I was so quiet and difficult to talk to. Thankfully they gave me a chance and did get to know the me "inside" - THANKS FRIENDS, I TRULY APPRECIATE YOU!!